About this Course
This five-day, instructor-led course provides you with the knowledge and skills to implement and manage desktop virtualization solutions. This course provides an overview of virtualization and the various Microsoft products that you can use to implement and deploy a virtualization solution. The course explains how to configure and manage a MED-V deployment. Then, it describes the procedures for deploying an App-V solution by implementing App-V servers and clients and by sequencing applications. The course then covers the configuration of Remote Desktop Services and RemoteApp programs. Finally, the course describes the concept of user state virtualization and procedures for configuring the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI).
This course is intended for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 system and desktop administrators who will manage and implement desktop and application virtualization technologies within their networks.
The students for this course typically are responsible for implementing their organizations’ desktop and application virtualization, or their information technology (IT) management has directed them to research and/or implement desktop and application virtualization in the existing environment. Students should have a minimum of 1.5 years of experience working with Windows Server 2008 as a server or desktop administrator. This course does not require prior experience with virtualization. However, we highly recommend familiarity with virtualization concepts and management tools.
At Course Completion
Module 1: Overview of Desktop Virtualization Scenarios
Many organizations are exploring the use of virtualization to optimize their IT environment and streamline their IT management practices. Microsoft provides several products and technologies that will enable organizations to implement virtualization solutions in many different ways. This module provides an overview of the Microsoft virtualization technologies, and provides information on planning and managing virtualized environments.
- · Overview of Virtualization
- · Overview of Virtualization Management
- · Planning an Application and Desktop Virtualization Deployment
Lab : Planning Desktop Virtualization Scenarios
- · Identifying Virtualization Solutions
- · Planning Desktop Virtualization Scenarios
Module 2: Implementing Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode
This module covers the concept of virtual machines and how Windows Virtual PC uses it for virtualizing a complete client system. The module also covers the requirements and the procedures for installing and configuring Windows Virtual PC and virtual machines.
- · Installing Windows Virtual PC
- · Configuring Windows Virtual PC
- · Installing, Configuring, and Managing the Windows XP Mode
- · Creating and Deploying Custom Images of Windows XP Mode
Lab : Implementing Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode
- · Installing Windows Virtual PC
- · Using Windows XP Mode
Module 3: Implementing Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization
This module covers the architecture, functionalities, and benefits of MED-V. It also describes the roles of the MED-V client and MED-V Management server and the procedures for deploying them.
- · Overview of MED-V
- · Implementing MED-V Management Servers
- · Implementing a MED-V Client
Lab : Implementing MED-V
- · Configuring the Existing Infrastructure
- · Deploying the MED-V Server
- · Deploying the MED-V Client
Module 4: Configuring and Deploying MED-V Images
This module explains how to create, configure, deploy, and work with MED-V images. It also describes how to upload a MED-V image and deploy it to the client.
- · Configuring MED-V Images
- · Deploying MED-V Images
Lab : Configuring and Deploying MED-V Images
- · Creating MED-V Images
- · Testing MED-V Images
- · Updating, Packing, and Uploading the Image
Module 5: Managing a MED-V Deployment
This module explains how to manage a MED-V deployment, create reports, and perform basic MED-V troubleshooting. The module explains the concept of MED-V Workspace and describes how to configure Workspace Policy and deploy it to the client.
- · Implementing the MED-V Workspace Policy
- · Working with MED-V Workspace
- · Reporting and Troubleshooting MED-V
Lab : Managing a MED-V deployment
- · Creating and Configuring a Workspace Policy
- · Using the MED-V Client
- · Implementing MED-V Reporting and Troubleshooting
Module 6: Implementing Microsoft Application Virtualization
This module provides an overview of application virtualization, and it explains the requirements and interactions of App-V components. It explains how to plan the App-V infrastructure, and the available deployment scenarios. The module also provides an overview of the App-V server and App-V client installation process, and describes how to configure an App-V client.
- · Introduction to Application Virtualization
- · Planning for Application Virtualization
- · Deploying Application Virtualization Servers
Lab : Implementing Application Virtualization
- · Planning the App-V Implementation
- · Installing an App-V Management Server
- · Installing an App-V Streaming Server
- · Configuring a Client to Use the Streaming Server
Module 7: Planning and Deploying App-V Clients
This module explains how to configure and manage the application virtualization client. It provides an overview of the desktop and the terminal server client, and their installation methods. The module also describes the installation and configuration options for the client software.
- · Overview of the App-V Client
- · Installing and Configuring the App-V Client
- · Managing Client Configuration Features
Lab : Deploying the App-V Client in Stand-Alone Mode
- · Installing and Configuring the App-V Client
- · Installing a Stand-Alone Package
Lab : Managing Client Configuration Features
- · Configuring the App-V Client Properties
- · Configuring a Publishing Server for the App-V Client
- · Configuring Applications by Using the Desktop Client
- · Installing and Configuring Settings by Using the Group Policy App-V Template
Module 8: Managing and Administering Application Virtualization
This module explains how to administer the App-V infrastructure by providing an overview of the App-V Management Console, its deployment on the administrative workstation, and the required permissions for administering the App-V Management server. Additionally, the module provides information about publishing and modifying virtualized applications, configuring version upgrades, enforcing license compliance, and managing server groups and server objects.
- · Using the Application Virtualization Management Console
- · Publishing Applications into the App-V Environment
- · Performing Advanced Administration Tasks for Application Virtualization
Lab : Publishing Applications in the App-V Environment
- · Configuring System Options
- · Managing App-V Administrators
- · Publishing and Configuring an Application
- · Verifying Application Permissions
Lab : Implementing License Enforcement
- · Publishing an Application
- · Creating a License Group
- · Creating a New Provider Policy
- · Testing License Enforcement
Module 9: Sequencing Applications for Virtualization
This module provides an overview of App-V sequencing and explains how to sequence applications for deployment by using the App-V infrastructure or a standalone installation. It explains how to install and configure the App-V Sequencer. The module also covers packaging options, and the procedures for upgrading existing packages, and creating standalone packages.
- · Overview of Application Sequencing
- · Planning and Configuring the Sequencer Environment
- · Performing Application Sequencing
- · Advanced Sequencing Scenarios
Lab : Sequencing Applications for Virtualization
- · Installing the App-V Sequencer
- · Sequencing an Application
- · Deploying and Testing the Application
- · Upgrading and Redeploying the Application
- · Sequencing a Hard-Coded Application
Module 10: Configuring Remote Desktop Services and RemoteApp
This module explains how to configure and use Remote Desktop Services (RDS) and RemoteApp programs. It provides an overview of the main RDS role services and the services that are required for implementing RemoteApp. This module also covers RD Connection Broker and the integration of published RemoteApp programs with Windows 7 clients.
- · Overview of RDS
- · Publishing RemoteApp by Using RDS
- · Accessing RemoteApp Programs from Clients
Lab : Configuring RDS and RemoteApp Programs
- · Preparing the RDS Environment
- · Publishing RemoteApp Programs
- · Accessing Published RemoteApp Programs
Module 11: Implementing User State Virtualization
This module explains the importance of the user state and how you can configure user state. It covers the features of user profiles, the profile types that Windows supports, and the differences between them. The module also covers folder redirection, and explains how to configure and use them.
- · Overview of User State
- · Configuring Roaming Profiles and Folder Redirection
Lab : Implementing User State Virtualization
- · Configuring and Testing Roaming Profiles
- · Configuring and Testing Folder Redirection
- · Configuring Offline Files
Module 12: Configuring Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
This module describes how to configure and use Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI). It provides an overview of Hyper-V server role and the integration of VDI with RDS and Hyper-V. The module also covers the procedures for configuring different types of virtual desktops and explains how to configure a virtual machine for use as a virtual desktop. Finally, the module provides details on deploying VDI to Windows 7 desktops.
- · Overview of Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V
- · Introduction to VDI
- · Configuring Personal and Pooled Virtual Desktops
Lab : Configuring Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
- · Configuring RDS Infrastructure for VDI
- · Configuring a Virtual Machine for VDI
- · Configuring and Testing the Personal Virtual Desktop
- · Configuring and Testing User State Virtualization and the Virtual Desktop Pool
Module 13: Summary of Desktop Virtualization Technologies
This module reviews the features of the various desktop virtualization technologies that this course covers. The module also covers some real-world scenarios for implementing these technologies.
- · Review of Desktop Virtualization Technologies
- · Real-World Usage Scenarios